We all set new years resolutions, annual goals but at the end of the year, only a few are accomplished.
Question is WHY????
How about making a commitment. This is hard but possible. Below is the HOW:
1. Decide. – This may sound simple but you need to decide that this goal is a commitment. That you’ll achieve no matter what. You will find a way. You will pay any price. You will stay up late and get up early to make this goal happen.
2. Burn your bridges. – To make sure you stay committed to your goal, cut off the possibility of failure. If you want to achieve something than make sure there is no way you can go back to your old way of living. If you want to lose 10kgs and start eating healthy, go to your cupboard right now and throw out all your junk food. Look at your labels and get rid of anything that is not good for you. Commit to not allowing any more of this food in your house.
3. Tell the world. – Broadcast to everyone your goal and your timeline to achieve it. Allow this public announcement to motivate you to stay committed. Many successful people have used a public commitment to move them towards their goals. Find a way to let people know your intentions and then make sure they become a reality.
4. Let go of your fears. – If you’re going to make your goal a commitment you must be willing to let go of your fears. To do this you must stay in a positive state of mind about your goals. Focus on all the benefits the achievement of your goals will bring. When you start to feel anxious about your goals, remind yourself that this is normal. Most fears are related to change. The change your goals will bring is going to have a positive impact on your life.
5. Examine the consequences. – There are always consequences for not achieving a goal. Can you identify these and use them to keep you committed. One of the major consequences comes from our own self-esteem. Making and breaking commitments to ourselves does more damage than breaking a commitment to another. Make sure you keep promises to yourself.
If you can’t find consequences, create them. Find something that will motivate you to achieve your goal and at the same time find a negative consequence for not achieving your goal. It can be as simple as taking away from yourself something you enjoy. Maybe for everyday you don’t take action towards your goal you can’t watch TV. Find something that is the right carrot and stick to keep you committed.
6. Re-write your goals daily. – Focus your attention on your goal by writing them each and every day. This simple activity will bring you back to what’s important to you. It will force you to stay committed by focusing on what you want to achieve. Don’t cut corners here and make this a ritual in your day.
Staying committed is not going to be easy and having a good accountability system goes hand in had with making your goals a commitment. Find what works right for you and make it happen.
By following through with this process you will find that most of life’s ambitions come to pass and your Dreams will come TRUE.
- Goals Without Means Are Meaningless (leanexecution.wordpress.com)
- 10 things which successful people do (thecupoflife.wordpress.com)
- Why Secret Dreams Are So Freakin’ Powerful (eagleman6788.wordpress.com)
- Settings Goals (diaryofapersonaltrainer.wordpress.com)
- Reviving a New Years Resolution: Tips from Change Management Expert Marianne Carlson (prweb.com)